Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Motivation

I took the drive survey and found my motivation type to be Type X. This type of motivation is one with behavior that is fueled more by extrinsic desires than intrinsic ones and that concerns itself less with the inherent satisfaction of an activity and more with the external rewards to which that activity leads. I often try to see the overall purpose that a challenge will serve. I am very motivated to do well in school, work, and sports, and I see the good outcomes and rewards they will lead to. I understand why I need to be motivated in school and that the reward will come later on in life when I am able to get a good job and make money. I am motivated in soccer and cross country to receive awards and recognition. I do enjoy activities based on intrinsic desires, however, the extrinsic desires fuel my motivation more. This shows how I have type X behavior, which is concerned less with the inherent satisfaction of an activity and more with the external rewards of that activity. I don't always take on activities strictly for the learning experience. I work to make money, rather than to challenge myself by taking on new challenges. However, I am able to learn a lot along the way and receive experience, knowledge, confidence, and more as a result of my Type X motivation. The type of motivation I see most often by the workers at my mentorship is Type X. They chose a job they have a strong interest in, however, it was also chosen with a good salary in mind. I have also seen a bit of Type I motivation, as the engineers are often looking to learn new things everyday to become more knowledgeable.

My sentence is "She strives to take on every situation with positive attitude and to not be afraid of challenges."

Long before my sophomore cross country season started, I set a goal to finish in the top 10 at the state meet. Just the thought of being up on the podium with elite runners from around the state made me so motivated. I knew that I had the potential to reach my goal, and focused on that end reward more than anything. Although I enjoy running so much for the exercise and time alone with my thoughts, when cross country season hits, I'm only thinking about that end reward. I was driven by my Type X motivation throughout the pre-season training and also throughout the season. I pushed through the challenge of getting back into shape and running in the scorching Georgia heat during summer. I was focused with the thought of my goal every time I stepped onto the trails or track to do my workouts. In the end, my strong motivation led to great results, and I found my way onto the podium. It wasn't easy, and I faced injuries and obstacles along the way, but I ended up with a huge sense of accomplishment. I use this experience to fuel my motivation for running, soccer, and also school. I learned that if you have a strong desire and focus, with a specific goal, you can accomplish anything you wish to.

1 comment:

  1. Wow,Kelsey, you are so wrong-you have just described Type I behavior. I think the motivation type instrument is to 'geared' towards working adults-so perhaps the results are skewed. I am sure good grades, recognition of hard work and discipline do motivate you to some degree-but perhaps you have set your own standards! That'heart' and 'guts' you show in your running is in your DNA-you have that intrinsic motivation. I assure you, you are running for more than being named in the top 10 at State-believe me-that is what is going to separate you from all the others for the rest of your life! Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete