Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Mentorship

My mentorship has provided me with so many neat experiences from day 1. I never expected to be putting computers together from scratch, or building my own cables. On the very first day I walked into mentorship, I was told that I would be building a computer. I was excited, but a little nervous to take on this challenge, since I had never even seen the inside of a computer before. My mentor was very helpful and encouraging, as he led me through every step. I was glad to have some guidance the first day. However, I have put together two computers since then for actual clients, without any help from my mentor. Hands-activities such as this really help me remember certain parts of a computer and what they are used for. My mentorship felt like a success from Day 1. From there, I also learned to put my own cables together, and got to keep one for whenever I need it around my house. It was fun to make cables and then test them to see if I had made them successfully. Sometimes it involves trial and error, but overall everything I've done hands-on has been a great learning experience. I never realized how many little things are included in an IT job. It is amazing to me how much access computer engineers have to any of their clients' servers, firewalls, various settings, etc. With all this ability to access private information, it is important for them to change passwords to maintain good security. I've learned the importance of documenting several times, due to problems my mentor ran into while doing some projects. I have learned so much already, and I'm excited to see what the next few weeks working with my mentor have in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment